At the turn of the last Century the shop was owned by the Blagrove family when it was a jewellers and a photographers.
Then in 1938, Mr Henry Marston Barrett purchased the building and business. He worked in the shop right up until the age of 85.
In 1966 his son, Mr Robert Barrett FGA joined the family business after training in Southampton, London, Eastbourne and Exeter.
The shop is now largely run by Mr Andrew Glaysher FGA who joined Marston Barrett as a trainee in 1984 and has happily remained with us ever since.
We take pride in the fact that Marston Barrett are a family business. We have over 80 years of trading as a fiercely individual and independent jewellers. We feel we are a refreshing change from the high street multiples, or jewellers who take the easy route of selling the same unexceptional stock dictated to them by powerful buying groups or large watch companies in re-fitted showrooms that all look the same.
The top end of Lewes high street is an ideal position for us as it is made up of a number of very independent shops. In fact in a recent survey there was an article in a national newspaper which picked out Lewes, East Sussex as having a lowest percentage of chain stores in the country.
Despite our online shop we still have a very physical solid presence in the county town of Lewes, Sussex, offering a huge range of antique, vintage, second-hand/pre-owned jewellery, silver, watches and clocks, along with new jewellery and silver. We also specialise in engagement and wedding rings.
Our shop with its green and gold fascia is a landmark of Lewes high street, and is to be found opposite the entrance of the 11th century Lewes Castle.
Throughout our history Marston Barrett has always prided itself on a welcoming atmosphere with a personal, friendly and knowledgeable service. We have earned an enviable reputation for quality throughout Sussex and beyond.